20. Secret fast-food stops on the way home from shopping trips.
19. You were the most kind, caring person in the world when one of your brood was laid up with sickness, recovering from surgery, etc. There’s no cure quite like your saltines, 7-Up, and a damp cloth on the forehead.
18. Trips to the pool during the summer with a trunkload of towels, snacks, drinks and pool toys. I still say the best times took place at Riverside.
17. You have always been a compassionate neighbor. I have never seen a neighborhood that was as friendly as our block on Rutherford Ave., and you played an enormous role in building that unity. Maybe that was common stuff back in the 1950s, but it's not today.
16. You love a good surprise. On one of my surprise visits during college, I climbed the basement stairs to reveal myself. Standing there alone in the kitchen, you looked up at me with the most bizarre, spooked expression, and screamed as if Abe Lincoln himself had just emerged from your basement.