Happy Mother's Day, Mom! In your honor, over the next 10 days, I am counting down my top 50 memories of you through the years. Hope you enjoy them.
50. You gave each of your four kids a plot of land in the backyard as our own gardens. A very shrewd move—it kept us occupied; kept us outside; filled up garden space with minimal effort on your part; and even put vegetables on the table!
49. Hot cocoa breaks for us and the neighbor kids on snow days. What a cool mom.
48. Brisk morning walks around the neighborhood with you, Dad, me and the dog, and doing the same at the cabin.
47. Your taxi service anywhere and anytime—especially for my early-morning baseball workouts in high school. Of course, those same workouts compelled(?) you to take over my morning paper route, and on one icy morning you slipped and broke your arm while I ran wind sprints in a sweaty gym.
46. Your relentless teasing after my “Meijer Turn.” I took it gladly, because you could have teased me over far worse things than that. Also, we could have been killed.